These are our roots
MSA Society for Community Living was founded in July of 1957 by six parents of children with disabilities, serving the communities of Matsqui, Sumas & Abbotsford (MSA).
The six founding families were determined to seek out alternatives that would provide educational options for their children and to ensure they would not be placed in an institution, which in 1957, was one of the only viable options.
The society began in the basement of a church, a certified teacher was hired to provide educational support and instruction, offering the children an opportunity for a different quality of life.
In 1996 through to 2001 MSA began to focus on offering specialized services and Day Program (now called Community Inclusion) options for adults with developmental disabilities and young adults graduating from high school. In 2003 MSA initiated its first Home Share placement.
In 2005 the MSA Society received its first 3-year CARF accreditation and has continued to be accredited every 3 years since then.
That same year, the Society was successful in negotiating and finalizing funding for our move from the Old Yale Road Property (Wildwood).
In 2005 we purchased the current property on Crescent Way, we moved into the Building July of 2007, where we operate our day services with an additional day service site nearby.
We currently support approximately 100 individuals in Day Services, Residential and Home Share Services.